Week two already?!
Going to be honest, not a ton of progress has been made. Our schedules are kind of bonkers right now but this week hasn’t been a total loss.
Sunday, Kyle and his dad were able to move the thermostat and doorbell box which had been in the way of the future barn door. The doorbell box now lives in the laundry room (they really left it in place and just turned it to the other side of the wall) and the thermostat has moved down the hall out of the way of the barn door. We still need to cap off the doorbell on the hall side and patch the hole from the thermostat.
The thermostat is really throwing me off more than I thought it would. Every time I go to adjust the temperature I’m greeted with a hole in the wall and then I panic for .2 seconds before I remember we moved it 5ft to the left.
How about that old wallpaper huh? She’s a beaut.
I also started pulling out baseboards. Almost all of the hall baseboards are out but I still have three walls worth to tear out in the family room and we’re replacing the crown in the family room as well so that needs to go. We may or may not tackle the crown in the foyer right now – depends on budget and time. The family room is getting new crown because we have to tear it off one wall anyway to do the built ins.
Because we don’t have enough to do, we decided we’re also going to replace this small section of tile with the laminate we’ve been putting throughout the house.
All of the tile will eventually go. It’s not at all our style plus it wasn’t laid correctly and we’re constantly getting grout stuck in our feet. You can even lift one of the tiles right out of the floor!
Thankfully it should’t add more than a couple of hours worth of time to the overall project if that much (*knock on wood*). I also found out that the baseboards in the tiled area are grouted in so I can’t really get those out until that tile is out anyway.
I am really itching to start painting but there are several spots where I decided to pick at the painted over wall paper and those spots need to be patched. Here’s the worst area:
Yiiiiiikes. My bad. I’ve been forbidden from patching/skim coating walls because I tend to use more mud than necessary which makes sanding even less fun than normal so I’m waiting on Kyle to take care of all of that before I can knock out the paint. I never could find a gray I loved in this house so we’re going with white. I don’t even usually like white walls but I’m so over the gray we have and I’ve probably tried at least 30 different samples of gray and nothing works so we’re just going for it! I’ve been drawn to more and more white rooms on Instagram and Pinterest so we’ll see how it goes. We picked China White by Benjamin Moore (which we’ll have color matched at Home Depot).
We’re going navy in the family room. You probably aren’t surprised by that but you might be surprised to know that I’m not the one who picked it (it was Kyle!) and I was actually hesitant for a long time because I was afraid it would be too dark but the family room gets a good amount of natural light from the two big windows and the built ins will be white which should help balance everything.
Speaking of the builts ins…
We haven’t even started measuring for them. WHOOPS. We should probably do that soon.
I also realized we have a few almond light switches that need to be swapped out for white.
Ain’t no party like a fixer upper party ’cause a fixer upper party don’t stop. Ever.
See ya next week!