In true Jess fashion, I’m tossing out everything I just said we were going to start working on in 2015 and instead I’m going to work on my craft room/office.
Here’s the thing, my current “craft room” is totally unusable. My desk is covered in old photos, floor samples, binders, paint trays, and a million other things. There are plastic storage containers packed with crap that all need to be put away but there’s no place to put it. There’s also a dog crate in the middle of the room that is no longer being used. This is supposed to be my creative space but right now, it’s just a room where we threw a bunch of junk when we moved in.
You know those rooms in your house where you just keep the door closed? Yes? No? Maybe? Well, welcome to my nightmare.
Yiiiiiiikes, those pictures are embarrassing.
Want to know what’s even more embarrassing? This is also our current guest room which means we have to shove junk out of the way to make room for an air mattress when we have people stay with us, which luckily is not an often occurrence.
I’m planning on kicking off this project when I’m off work later this week so hopefully I’ll be able to get a lot done while I’m still motivated. Here’s my initial plan which I’m sure will end up growing by a trillion percent:
- Paint ceiling – I so do not want to do this but there’s old water damage so it really needs to be done.
- Paint walls – The walls are the color that the previous owners painted the entire house. Not totally offensive but not really what I want. I’m looking for something dark so my plan is to go with navy. Shocker, I know. When you pick yourself up off the floor from that total surprise, we can move on.
- STORAGE – I currently have one shelf in the closet of this room. Since we’re not using it as a bedroom, I’m taking the hanging rod and shelf out and plan to add in loads more shelving instead.
- Dress the Walls – We have so many naked walls in the house. I think this would be the perfect room to display some of our wedding photos that I love looking at. We have some downstairs right now but we have new plans for that space so I’ll probably just go ahead and move them up to this room.
- Dress the Window – The mini blinds have got to go. I’ll replace them with the same white faux wood blinds we put in our bedroom. Curtain TBD – maybe the same gray and white IKEA curtains that are in the rest of the house or maybe this would be a good opportunity to DIY something?
I think this is a good start and hopefully I don’t run into any major snags. I’ve already started cleaning and going through the storage containers to see what I can get rid of (thanks for the help, Kyle!) and the closet doors have been ripped off. If anybody knows where I can pick up a cheap filing cabinet please let me know! I have a ton of files that are screaming for a nice home instead of piled together in a box.