Now that the craft room is finished, I wanted to share my storage solutions for the space. Storage was a key factor in this room since previously everything just lived on the floor and it looked like my house was being filmed for an episode of Hoarders. First up, this yellow cabinet:
If you’ve been following along for a while, you may remember this as the vanity in our half bath after we redid it the first time.
After we changed out that bathroom again, I wasn’t really sure what to do with the cabinet so it just sat against the wall in our study for a few months. Once I started putting my craft room back together, I realized that the cabinet was the perfect place to set my beast sized printer. There were a couple of problems I had to fix first though – the holes in the top of the cabinet where we had the plumbing for the vessel sink and the poorly frosted doors. Putting it that was is kind of cheating though because I didn’t actually fix the holes. The printer is large enough that it mostly hides them and they don’t hinder the functionality so I didn’t worry about trying to patch them.
The doors on the other hand have bothered me since the minute we were done spray frosting them. They’re not so bad from this angle but if you look back at the photo above, you’ll see how bad they looked from the front.
It was easy enough to get the glass out of the doors – I just had to pry up the rubber that was holding them in place like so (please disregard my gross fingers – I still had stain in my nails from the closet shelving):
After that, the glass popped out easily.
I could have just left the doors bare but I came across some chicken wire at Home Depo that was on clearance for less than $5 so I figured I’d give it a shot. Using tin snips, I cut the wire to the size I needed and used my staple gun to secure it to the inside of the door. I also tucked the ends of the wire into the track where the glass used to be. It probably only took about 20 minutes to do both doors and I really like how it turned out.
So far, it’s worked out really well and now I don’t have to spend 30 minutes tearing apart the house because I can’t find my camera or computer charger!
I’ll be back on Wednesday with a post on the shelving system we used in the craft room closet – why we chose it, how we installed it, and all of that kind of fun stuff.
We’ve also been working on a little mini-makeover in the hall bathroom that I’m excited to start talking about soon! We’re almost done with it so I’m lagging a little behind on posting but here’s a sneak peek that I posted on Instagram a few weeks ago.