Week 3! That means we’re halfway through.
Well, it’s the halfway point for the One Room Challenge but I’m definitely not halfway through with our dining room and pantry. IT’S OKAY I’M NOT PANICKING.
I know! I know. It looks like we’re never going to finish. I had planned on moving everything out of this room to do the floors, paint, and new trim but honestly there’s just nowhere else to put this furniture right now so we’re having to work around it.
We actually have gotten a good bit done in the last week although the air register that needs to be moved for us to really make headway on the pantry remains where it’s been. That’s okay though, we came up with an alternate plan today that will make everything easier and we’re dropping OG off at my mom’s for an afternoon this weekend so we can really crank out some work. I’m hoping Saturday will bring us a mostly put together pantry. Any by “put together” I mean like, I hope we most of the walls covered and the new entrance framed in. We’ve gotten some drywall installed here and there but that new entrance is crucial and it’s a two person job. I did at least finish getting drywall up over the old entrance to the closet. It’s not taped, mudded, sanded, or painted but at least it’s finally closed up!
This week I also got up one coat of the green paint on the lower half of the dining room walls. I’m planning on painting one coat on all of the new trim before we install it and then just doing a second coat on everything all at once (and a third if I have to). The window trim and baseboards will be replaced but I don’t want to take down what’s there until we’re ready to install the new stuff.
Other than the pantry, the floors are the other big thing that need to get done. It’s week 3 and yes, I’m still removing tile but I’m having to do it in sections and I only have short time spans to work. We haven’t even talked more about the new garage access door and the last time I checked, the door hadn’t even shipped yet so I’m starting to get a little nervous on that front. As of now it’s supposed to get here at the end of the month which doesn’t leave us much time to get it installed and all of the trim work done.
Here’s how our dining room to-do list is looking:
• Clean out room (move my workstation upstairs, move out furniture and random crap) – NOPE. Working around the crap.
• Remove tile floors and layer of plywood underneath – In Progress
• Remove baseboards (the tile was laid after so the baseboards are stuck until the tile is gone)
• Remove window trim
• Remove blinds
• Add faux board and batten
• Add garage access door
• Install new trim for window and new doors (garage and pantry)
• Lay flooring
• Install new baseboards
• Paint trim
• Paint walls – In Progress
• Paint Ceiling
• New blinds
Paint armoire (this is a maybe right now) Taking off the list
• Paint/replace dresser (also a maybe)
It wasn’t technically on the to-do list, but I did manage to find a small piece of furniture to put next to the new door to the garage where we can drop our keys and mail. We’re picking it up next week!
Let’s see if we’ve done any better in the pantry:
- Have exposed pipes cut and capped
- Have vent moved to make room for new entrance
- Frame new entrance in dining room
Close up old entrance in hallway Install lighting Add light switch Add outlet (this is a maybe right now)– Decided against this
- Hang/finish drywall in pantry – In progress
- Build cabinets and shelves
- Lay flooring
- Add counter
- Find antique door for entrance – I don’t think we’re going this route anymore but we’ll see. Right now it looks like we’ll be building custom doors but maybe not in time for the reveal.
Make sure you go check out all of the other participants right here! Week 4 is usually when things get really crazy and I’m looking forward to it.