I’m just going to pretend that I didn’t totally miss my week 4 post.
Otherwise known to me as the oh crap we only have one week (really less than that) but three weeks worth of work to do. Honestly, we’re still working on demo in some parts of the space and we just added something else to our scope of work. I’m not confident that everything will be finished but I am confident that at least one of the two spaces will be ready for their reveal next week.
The dining room is still a gigantic mess but we got the new garage access door in! Big shout out to our brother-in-law Brandon for picking the new door up for us and coming over and helping get it installed. Somehow, we managed not to lose either of our cats while we had a giant hole in our house for 3 hours on Sunday.
We almost had a major set back here. The door got here last Friday and I got an email that it arrived “broken” with no other details but that I could come inspect the damage and see what I wanted to do. I was really unsure how in the world a solid wood door would have gotten broken in transit but I was interested to see what the deal was. Thankfully, the part that was broken was just one side of the door jamb.
We had decided to pay extra for a pre-hung door for the convenience factor but the door itself was pretty much fine so we decided to keep it and just ask for a discount because it was going to take another month to get a new door in. Let me say this, I do not have a lot of nice things to say about the HomeDepot.com customer service (not just over this issue) but our in-store customer service team is amazing. First, the dot com representative tried to give me 5% back on what was essentially an unusable door jamb when I could have purchased the same exact door without the jamb for $70 less. By keeping the door I was going to have to buy a new door jamb which was going to set me back $50. The in-store rep pushed and got me my $50 back and then they comped us the new door jamb kit. It all worked out in the end. We still have finishing work to do but it’s in which is major! Here it is from the garage side:
The pantry has also started to see some serious progress.
Going into the final week (where most people are styling and shooting their spaces), we still have a ton to do:
• Remove tile floors and layer of plywood underneath – In Progress
• Remove baseboards (the tile was laid after so the baseboards are stuck until the tile is gone)
• Remove window trim
• Remove blinds
• Add faux board and batten – In Progress
• Add garage access door
• Install new trim for window and new doors (garage and pantry)
• Lay flooring
• Install new baseboards
• Paint trim – In Progress
• Paint walls – In Progress
• New blinds
• Paint/replace dresser (also a maybe)
- Have exposed pipes cut and capped – probably not before the ORC is over
Have vent moved to make room for new entrance Frame new entrance in dining room Close up old entrance in hallway Install lighting Add light switch
- Hang/finish drywall in pantry – In progress
- Build cabinets and shelves – No cabinets, just shelves
- Lay flooring
- Add counter – change of plans, not doing this anymore
Those to-do lists don’t even include all the little stuff like patching nail holes, sanding down the old base plate in the pantry, caulking, etc. There’s a lot to do and only one more weekend to try to make a dent. Go check out what the other guest participants are up to here! And check back next week for our finished pantry and what I’m expecting will be our partially finished dining room.