Pardon me, while I just casually stroll back in and pretend that it hasn’t been almost a month and a half since my last post.
I know, I know but things got busy and then I just didn’t feel like doing anything – the best I can give you is a “Whoops! My bad, y’all”
Anyway, how about a little less talk and a lot more action? After all of the ups and downs and the not so fun surprises, we finally finished our half bathroom!
Our bathroom used to be made up of lovely pink tile, a ginormous vanity complete with a yellow faux marble counter, an equally large mirror, faux wood outlet cover and toilet seat, and an outdated brass light fixture. Super sexy, amirite?!
There was not a single thing about this space that we liked, so we ripped it all out (even some dry wall!) and started fresh.
This has been our biggest, scariest, most frustrating project to date. It’s not perfect and we know there are things we could have done better or could still work on, but we’re in love with the end result and have learned some new skills and some valuable lessons along the way. I’m not going to lie, there’s still some touching up to do but let’s face it – I can always figure out some little detail that needs to be improved on a “finished” project so I’ll never really be done with anything. I’ll be making a more detailed post later in the week along with a lot more pictures (taken with a real camera, not my trusty iPhone) and a source list so you can see where we got all of our fixtures (spoiler alert: the vanity is from Target!).
We have tons of projects lined up but right now our weekends are busy and we’re tired during the week so I probably won’t be keeping a regular posting schedule for some time…SHOCKER, I know! What I will give you is a short list of stuff we’re working on and hope that it’s enough to keep you interested:
- Cleaning out and organizing the garage – we’ve lived in the house for almost 7 months and neither of us has actually parked in the garage yet. Sigh.
- Landscaping! October will hopefully be a big outdoor month for us. We’re planning on completely ripping out the front yard and all of the random azalea bushes. We’re going to do a lot of trimming, a mailbox make over, and we’ll be seeding the front yard. Hopefully, we’ll also get some new greenery planted in front of the house and maybe add in some uplighting but those may end up being spring projects because, ya know, dolla’ dolla’ bills y’all.
- YARD SALE. Yep, we’re hoping to have our first yard sale and get rid of a bunch of random crap and Target furniture.
- Dining Room table. The biggest obstacle has been our lack of tools to get this done but hopefully we’ve figured out a solution. We’re also building a bench and are on the never ending search for chairs that fit into our budget and that work for both of our styles.
- Repaint the downstairs, finally paint the upstairs. Yes, I just said repaint the entire downstairs. I’m crazy, I know, but I also live in a purple and yellow house. PURPLE. Why can’t there just be a true gray that doesn’t read as purple, taupe, or blue? Seriously? C’mon, now. I’ll also never understand the beigey-yellow color that our house originally sported on the walls (and is currently living in the stairwell and upstairs). It’s not a good look.
- New front door. We recently bought a door to replace the solid black slab door that is currently serving as a very unwelcoming entrance to our home. I don’t want to give too much away but it’s a very old door and I’m very obsessed with it.
- Mini-mudroom. I talked about this ages ago (here, here, and here) but I never actually showed y’all how it turned out! Shame on me. I promise I will show you soon, after I paint over the yellow stripes that I thought would add to the look but really just look a mess. A hot mess.
- Decorating for Halloween. I know it’s not even October yet, but we’re close enough and it’s my blog so I do what I want. Deal with it.