We’ve never really put a lot of time or energy into our bedroom which is unfortunate because it has a lot of potential and really your bedroom should be a place you want to go to at the end of the day. It’s a decently large room with two big windows and a vaulted ceiling. Here are the listing photos:
The only thing we had done in here before last weekend was to make a headboard and paint the walls white. I’m not big on plain white rooms but this was already such an improvement.
There are a million things left to do in this house but we decided after almost 4 years it was finally time to make our bedroom a place we actually wanted to spend time. I mean, the room was fine but not really the most relaxing room in the history of bedrooms.Our over all plan was this:
- Remove closet and patch wall/ceiling- We don’t use this closet and all it was doing was jutting out into the room and taking up space. We wanted to tear it out to open things up and give us more options for furniture placement.
- Remove carpet
- Install laminate
- Replace baseboards
- Paint walls
- Build semi-built in dog crates that double as a console table
- Add faux beams on the ceiling to match the ones in the living room
- Buy new bedding
- Buy a large rug to go under the bed
- Install wall sconces on either side of bed
- Replace window/door trim
- Install two ceiling fans (this isn’t something we plan on doing now but down the road when we are having other electrical work done elsewhere in the house)
- Install a wall between the bedroom and bathroom sink area (another item for down the road whenever we do the bathroom renovation)
Easy, right? WRONG. Nothing is ever easy in this house. On Saturday, we took the drywall down on the front of the closet.
For those of you who don’t know, that is a whole lot of framing for a closet. We texted a contractor friend of ours what he thought and right away he was sure it was load bearing. Kyle went into the attic to get more photos/video for him and it turns out, the closet opening is actually tied into the support system for our roof. I’m sure we could run a beam but honestly the cost just isn’t worth it to gain less than 20sqft of space.
So, right away we had to change our plan. While we were at Home Depot picking up materials to hang new drywall to replace what we had just torn down we came up with a creative solution. I’m not going to go into detail yet but basically, we decided if we had to keep the closet we may as well turn it into a feature. Hint: think Joanna Gaines.
Keeping the closet is by far the biggest hiccup so far and it actually ended up impacting our plan for the dog crates but I think we’ve been able to come up with a pretty solid alternative which I’ll share in a separate post. We also went ahead and bought a king bed which is pretty much the most exciting thing in my life right now and we added crown moulding to the punch list but we’re hoping we can hire that out for the sake of our marriage. I’m also going to attempt a little DIY project involving the bedroom doors.
So far we’ve been able to start on the feature wall, paint the entire room, and rip up the carpet. We’re hoping we can make a lot of progress pretty quickly because right now we’re sleeping on a mattress on the floor of the craft room sandwiched between a sofa, my desk, and two large dog crates. We’re hoping that tomorrow night we can rip out the baseboards and put down he underlayment to prep for floor installation. We tried removing the baseboards over the weekend but we think the carpet was in the way because we could not get them to budge without going Bruce Banner on the drywall.
I don’t have any progress photos I can share without spoiling what we did with the closet but here’s a shot of how our new flooring looks next to the new wall color (navy, as if there was any other choice).
IT’S HAPPENING. I’ll share more soon!